Today Anne Denny, SleepTalk Consultant and psychotherapist, shares with us her top 5 parenting tips.....
1. ALL children want attention and most of all they want your (parents) attention over anyone else's. Remember this when you are trying to pacify them - don't promise them sweets or toys in exchange for good behaviour, promise them your time and attention.
2. Children are always learning - they don't have the experience you do, so when they get things wrong ask yourself - how can I teach them more effectively to get it right ?
3. Know your family values and lead by example. If you involve your children in family decision making from an early age it makes them feel like they belong, this doesn't mean they get to make the decisions, far from it, they learn everyone has an opinion and theirs is as important as everyone else's.
4. Praise, praise, praise. We are all motivated when we are praised for the things we do well. Look for the positive in your child's behaviour. Too often all we do is point out when they get it wrong! Being at the receiving end of negativity long term will cause rebellion, depression and low self esteem.
5. Practice what you preach and don't expect your children to behave any differently than you do!
We just wanted to share these tips with you.