A few weeks ago we were sent McCain Ready Baked Jackets to try. They are frozen ready baked potatoes, ready to pop into the microwave.
I have to admit that when they arrived I wasn't entirely sure about them. We normally put potatoes in the microwave then crisp them up in the oven so I wasn't sure how exactly these microwaveable jacket potatoes were going to give an oven taste and save any time.
However, these potatoes need to be microwaved for 5 minutes so they are quicker to prepare. They have been previously oven baked so they do have that oven taste.
Truthfully at the time I thought "hmm, I think we will just to "normal" tatties". Now though I'm thinking what a great idea! If you could have these lurking in the freezer then they'd make the perfect emergency meal...or indeed a quick, filling dinner. They are really easy to make, no hassle.
McCain have come up with Winter Warmer recipes to use with the Ready Baked Jackets. In fact they sent us the ingredients to try their Sausage and Caramelised Onion McCain Ready Baked Jackets.
We gave it a go and it was lovely. We added a bit of butter (naughty) onto the potato first to make it moist.
|This isn't our pic - ours didn't come out very well.|
It's the perfect comfort food and if you keep sausages in the freezer and caramelised onions in the fridge it can be thrown together fairly easily as an emergency meal.
So here's the recipe for you, hope you enjoy it!
Preparation & cooking time: 10 minutes
Cost per serving: £1.46
- 2 McCain Ready Baked Jackets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 4 chunky sausages, cooked and cut into chunks
- 3 tbsp red onion chutney
- Handful of freshly chopped parsley
- Cook two McCain Ready Baked Jackets in the microwave as per instructions on pack
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onions and fry gently until softened and slightly sticky
- Add the sausage chunks and heat through
- When the potatoes are cooked, add the chutney to the sausages and allow to bubble. When heated through, open the potatoes slightly and top with the caramelized red onion and sausage mixture.
McCain Ready Baked Jackets can be found the the freezer aisle of your local supermarket.
We were sent the ingredients to try this recipe. The opinions expressed are entirely our own and. as always, completely honest.